Please join us at Boaters Fair!
Wendy Hinman will be chatting with boaters and selling her two award-winning books, Tightwads on the Loose and Sea Trials. She plans also be selling swag for Team Sail Like a Girl, the first all-women team and monohull to win the Race to Alaska. Since the team is racing again, they can’t be there in person but you can help cheer them on by buying and wearing their sporty gear.
Plan to bring the whole family for a day of fun. There are lots of activities on deck at this FREE event for you and your family. Learn how to do knot-tying, come to the nautical swap meet, watch a helicopter rescue demonstration and choose a boat to try out!
Event highlights will also include:
• Learn about the Bainbridge Island Police Department’s Marine Services Unit. Tour our 33-foot SAFE Boat, “Marine 8″, that’s used for search and rescue missions, vessel assistance and environmental response, among others. You can also check out “Marine 11” – an 18-foot vessel that is often used for boating safety checks, boater education and enforcement of “No-Wake Zones” around Bainbridge Island. Learn about knot-tying, cruise planning and vessel inspections with the Coast Guard Auxiliary. They’ll also have activities for the kids.
• Have some nautical items to get rid of? Bring them to the nautical swap meet sponsored by the Eagle Harbor Yacht Club. The club will also host a human-powered fun race in Eagle Harbor.
• Watch a Helicopter rescue demonstration over the water!
• Try paddle boarding and kayaking with Exotic Aquatics Scuba and Kayaking. Experienced paddlers can join in the “Race to the Rock” at 10 AM from the dock to Blakely Rock and back. Staff will be offering free 15-minute demos from 10 AM to 1 PM of the Eddyline kayak fleet and a selection of Pau Hana paddle boards, as well as a kayak safety class. They will also have a kayak instructor on hand as well as their kayak guides to answer questions, teach general paddling strokes (as requested), inform participants, and demonstrate fun kayaking tricks.
• Come aboard the Sea Scout Ship Yankee Clipper, a 44-foot sail-training vessel which provides a “hands-on” maritime program for youth. They will offer FREE rides during the event.
• Join Bainbridge Island Rowing for a free hands-on preview to learn more about the exciting sport of rowing!
• Meet Steve Rhoades to hear about his adventures in the SEVENTY48.
• Sign up to be a captain on the City’s Emergency Flotilla or to be a Dock Host this summer.
• Meet those who write about, live upon, and work on local vessels such as “True”.
• Try your hand in the GIANT CANOE Pull with Udo Wald, or join a friendly human powered race to Blakley Rock with Rich Seubert.
• Learn to rig with the best high school sailors we’ve got!
• Learn about all the BIPRD Aquatic Programs on Bainbridge Island.
• Meet your local Ham Radio club.
• Try your hand at the heaving lines and haul away with Kitsap Maritime Heritage Foundation.
• Meet City staff and members of the Marine Access Committee for information about water quality, marine access and other programs.
• Get your clean boater swag from Washington Sea Grant.
• Come aboard WALTER, Washington’s All-equipped Law Enforcement Training & Education Resource boat